Even in cold weather, homeowners can take advantage of the benefits of renewable solar energy
Whether you want to protect the environment, save money on utility bills or add resale value to your home, solar energy is a smart option.
Benefits of Solar Energy
Why choose solar energy? Solar energy is:
- Sustainable and renewable. Other sources of fuel that require exploration must be extracted from the earth and can be depleted.
- Low-maintenance. Once solar panels have been installed and their efficiency maximized, they require very little in the way of regular upkeep.
- Silent. Solar panels don’t make any noise as they convert sunlight into electricity.
- Eco-friendly. Solar electric power plants and personal solar panels don’t produce any emissions or have any other adverse effects on the environment.
- Becoming more affordable. The federal government currently offers rebates and tax incentives that can help offset the cost of installing a solar electric system. Moreover, advancements in the technology used to create solar energy are allowing homeowners to recoup their initial investment (in equipment and installation costs) much more quickly. Consequently, the price of solar power continues to drop and is more and more competitive with traditional sources of electricity. In fact, 37 states in the U.S. now follow Renewable Portfolio Standards. These policies ensure that the public benefits of renewable energy are recognized and include requirements for electricity providers to switch a certain percentage of the power they generate and offer to consumers to renewable sources over the next several decades.